Friday, January 4, 2008

My Return to Work

January 2nd was my first day back to work at St. Clare Hospital. Leaving Caitlyn in the morning was a little more difficult than I imagined, but my actual return to work went very smoothly.
***
January 1st was a good day, I gathered all of my things that I needed to return back to work and relaxed with Ashley and Caitlyn. As the night started to come to an end I began to tear up. I was feling so many different things. I was nervous to return back to work because I thought maybe I forgot how to be a nurse. I was also very sad because for some strange reason, I felt as if motherhood was ending... Now I know that when I get off of work and even when I am at work, I am still Caitlyn's mom, but I feared that maybe she'd forget who I was. I just couldn't get rid of these awful feelings. I was also a little excited to get back to work to see all of my friends. I had a million emotions which made it very hard to get to sleep.
***
The night came and went... and I found myself awaking to my alarm. I was now in a state of shock! I quickly got ready so that I would have some extra time to play with Caitlyn before I left for work. She woke up shortly after I got outta the shower so I nursed her and continued to get ready. Ashley was now awake and playing with Caitlyn. I was all ready for work and went downstairs to warm up my car. The second I put the key in the ignition... I lost it. I began crying so hard and loud... I couldn't believe it. I tried to calm myself down so I could go back inside and give Ashley and Caitlyn a kiss good bye. I met Ash on the stairs as he was coming down and he must have seen my tears cause he held and hugged me for a longer than usual morning hug. I was very thankful for him. I gave Caitlyn a ton of kisses and started my journey back to work. (Ashley drove Caitlyn over to his parents house so that Vicki and Scarlet could care for her.) I cried for about 12 of the 22 minutes it took me to get to work :( I was welcomed by everyone and it only took me about ten muinutes to remember how to be a nurse. The day went by very quickly... thanks to Scarlet and Vicki who texted me many pictures of Caitlyn throughout my shift. I used our lactation room at work to pump in hopes to keep up my milk supply... I felt very strange pumping at work especially in my work clothes. I got off work and sped to pick up Caitlyn.
***
I got to Vicki's and Scarlet's house and Caitlyn was napping. I selfishly woke her up to hold her... and she smiled real big. She didn't forget who I was afterall. The next day went even more smoothly. Now I am off until next Wednesday, when I will probably go through all of this again.
Hopefully it gets easier!

3 comments:

Dziadzia said...

It never gets easy! Family love is the strongest of loves and especially a parents love for a child!

tiffany jeanne said...

You'll always be Caitlyn's mommy. She'll always be most excited to see you (and Ash too) when you get off work or after you've been away for a little while. I'm glad your first two days back went pretty well...makes it easier for me now knowing it was ok for you! Love you lots! Tiff

sara said...

Not that it means that much coming from me, but I am so proud of you!