Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Limoncello Part 2

Step 2 in our Limoncello process was two fold.
1.) drink a ton of Grolsch beer… check!
2.) Clean out & prepare the bottles for bottling the Limoncello…check!

Here are the bottles soaking in boiling water...

and here they are drying in the sunshine on the windowsill.

For those of you who were confused about my first Limoncello post, I thought I’d give a brief background on the lemon liqueur...
We heard about and first tried limoncello with my Uncle Paul and Cocia Char... Limoncello is produced in Southern Italy, mainly in the region around the Gulf of Naples, the Sorrentine Peninsula and the coast of Amalfi and islands of Procida, Ischia and Capri, but also in Sicily, Sardinia, Menton in France and the Maltese island of Gozo. It is served well chilled in the summer months. It is wonderful as a palate cleanser or as an after dinner drink. We keep our bottles of limoncello in the freezer until ready to serve. The ingredients are simple and few, and making a batch doesn't require much work, just time. It is made from lemon rinds, alcohol, water, and sugar. It is bright yellow in color, sweet and lemony, but not sour since it contains no lemon juice.
I can't wait to start step 3 when my Dad comes home!

7 comments:

Dziadzia said...

Damn!!! I can taste that Lemonchello already.

Dad (ashley) said...

you sure know your stuff!

Anonymous said...

mmmm....sounds good! When will it be ready? I wanna try some!

Dziadzia said...

Er,
You forgot to mention the village of Riggstinkly in central Italy. I think they too are know for their Lemonchello!
Chao!
Your Goomba
Jeovonie

Sara Moriarty said...

What a great idea, putting it into the Grolsh bottles. You are clever!

sara said...

when can I try some?

:)

tiffany jeanne said...

This seems to be a long long process....maybe it'll be finished when I have this baby so I can try some???? xoxo love yuns!